If you have not read our ProPortal Walk-Through, please start here before proceeding with the Assignments section!
Terms to know:
Subscription: The total memberships available to a company that allow invited users to access ITProTV.
Seats: The number of available memberships you can assign to users to allow access to ITProTV.
User: A person assigned a seat on a subscription to ITProTV’s learning platform.
Seat Admin: A person assigned access to the ProPortal (Seat admins do not use seats).
Activate: The action that gives users a seat on your subscription.
Deactivate: The action that removes users from a seat on your subscription.
Team: A group of users created by a Seat Admin, by job role or learning goals.
Activity: A summary of User’s/Team’s/Subscription’s viewings, usually generated as an Excel document.
(Learning) Module: A collection of content (episodes and/or courses) with a name and a description created to be assigned to one or more Users.
Assignment: A Module that has been assigned to one or more Team Members with a due date.
The Assignment section is available just below the subscription within the ITPro.TV ProPortal.
Once in the Assignments tab, scroll down to the bottom bar that reads “New Module Name." Now it’s time to choose what your focus will be. Give your module a title and we’re good to click “Create New Module”.
To give your users a better understanding as to the learning goals intended by your module, you can write a more detailed description below the title to make sure all users know what is expected to receive a completion.
- We suggest working on short rotations when creating assignments. There is no limit to the number of modules you can make, so stagger the learning into smaller chunks with achievable timelines to complete them within.
Now it’s time to start selecting the modules that will make up this assignment. For this example, we’ve selected ITProTV 101 as a good place to start. This course totals 58 minutes so we will go ahead and assign the whole course.
To select a full course, click the plus “+” sign next to ITProTV 101. You’ll see an orange checkmark when the course has been successfully selected.
However, you may want to add individual episodes rather than full courses. You can select the “Episodes” button below any course and a dropdown menu of the episodes will appear. Any selected episode will also be indicated with an orange checkmark.
For this example, let’s say we also want our team to have good communication skills, so we are assigning them a few episodes from our Customer Service Skills for Techies course on just the topic!
Once you’re done selecting episodes, scroll to the bottom of the page and hit “Next”. On the final screen before finalizing your module, you’ll have the option to re-arrange the courses/episodes and check to ensure everything looks correct.
Use this section to check the total time of the course and make sure it aligns with your initial objective.
Once you’ve got your module list complete, go ahead and “Create Module”!
🎊Well done, you’ve just created your module!🎊
Now, we need to pick the users/teams we want to assign this module to complete. Head back to the Assignments section, and your new module will be ready and waiting. Click “Assign” and begin the selection process.
- Choose which users/teams you want this assignment to be allocated to by clicking the empty checkboxes next to their names.
- Only ACTIVE users are able to be added to modules.
- If you are adding a team to a module, you can filter the list by teams using the white dropdown menu (Want to learn how to create and effectively implement teams? Check out this article!)
- Pick a date in the future by when you expect this assignment to be completed (we call this a “Due Date”). As mentioned, we suggest not making this too far in the future, but also with enough time for your users to fully complete the material on a set schedule. Short, focused, and well-paced is the way to go.
- When setting a Due Date, a learning pace estimate is automatically calculated based on the hours of the assigned module over the timeframe of the assignment.
- More than 10 hours per week may be feasible for some users, but keep in mind that best learning pace practices vary by the courses assigned and user’s/team’s own availability.
- Assignment Due Dates cannot be changed after creating the assignment. It is important to note that once your assignment Due Date has passed, user data for that assignment will no longer be tracked. If one of your users watches part of the assignment after the Due Date, their activity will be tracked on individual episodes, but it will not count towards assignment progress.
- Assignment progress will track through 11:59 PST of the designated due date.
- If you need to see your user's viewing data from after an assignment Due Date, you will simply need to create a new assignment with an extended Due Date. Viewing data will be updated once a new assignment is created.
- Assignments will be removed from your team's individual activity page 15 days after the assignment's due date.
Once you’re happy here, hit “Assign Module” at the top and you’re done! The users selected will now see this Assignment show at the top of their Dashboard notification bar the next time they log in.
Having trouble with your team's Modules and Assignments? Send Customer Success (Success@ITPro.TV) a message about the issue, we’d be happy to help.